Yea, we done did it. We are home owners. Again.
Today was closing day on our new home. Since the moment I saw the house online, everything went so smoothly. EXCEPT FOR LAST FRIDAY.
The bank here in Cullman said I could wire the funds we were putting down from our bank in NJ to the attorneys office where the closing would take place. So on Friday I called the bank. Now, I have been dealing with Colonial Bank for close about 35 years. Last year it was acquired by Cape Bank. A few months ago by OceanFirst. I called the main office of OceanFirst and told them what I needed to do. Can't do they tell me. I have to be there in person to sign forms to wire the money. What? Closing is Wednesday. I am in Louisiana. The bank in NJ is closed Monday. So am I supposed to hightail it from SW Louisiana to NJ over the Christmas weekend, go to the bank on Tuesday and be back to Alabama on Wednesday morning? Impossible.
I called the branch office I always dealt with. Told me the same. The bank in Cullman called them. Told them the same.
So late Friday the bank in Cullman said they would attempt something else on Tuesday. They sent me forms to fill out and scan back to them. HALLELUJAH whatever they did worked. The money was transferred from NJ to Alabama and ready this morning. I will be closing all accounts at OceanFirst and cash in my stocks with them to boot.
This morning we did the walk through and had lots of questions. All answered. This afternoon we had the closing and met the seller. What a lovely person she is. Could not have been easier to work with. She could not believe her house sold so fast. We can't believe it either. The realtor went out on a limb for us as there were 3 other bids. We made the offer sight unseen with a contingent that if we did not like it, all deals were off.
Today the seller gave us a thick folder of everything she had done to the house since she had it built in 2001. Also information on the property going way back as it was family land.
A some things need to be done. First.... There was a double wide trailer that was removed last week. But, the attached porch was left. The realtor's husband and son are going to dismantle it. Between them and us, we will make use to the wood. The porch.
Sad to see it go, but what would we do with it. The porch is on the left and the garage that was also attached to the double wide is on the right. That will stay. Len will enclose the two open sides. There is a room running the width of the garage and is about 5 feet deep. The seller said there are tools in that room and more in another out building. Does Len want them? Does it snow in Alaska?
Tomorrow Len will start working on the electrical boxes to get the area set up for our RV. You can see the pipes running to the septic system directly in front of the garage. The water connection is also up there. Our intent is to have concrete laid in the area where the double wide sat. We will have full hook ups not only for our rig, but for any of our RVing friends who might come to visit.
The seller has 7 days to move out. She plans to be out by Saturday morning. Hopefully we will have the electric done for the RV and turned on by Tuesday when we are scheduled to move from the campground.
Lots to do! Can't wait!