Our Schedule










Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Whew! Lots accomplished


Cullman,  AL

Are you like me?   Do you have things THAT HAVE TO BE DONE but you put it off and it is always in the back of your mind?    And then when it's finally done you think.... WHEW!

Here is my list.

Yearly Medical Insurance Decisions.

It's that time of the year for us old(er) people.   Do we change supplemental insurance plans? what about Prescription Part D of Medicare?  Do I keep what I have?   For the last few years our Prescription Part D is the WalMart plan.  Perfect as we full-timed.  Every where has a WalMart.  And the cost was reasonable.   This year when we got our renewals....wow.   An increase from about $28 a month to $56.  Time to start looking around.

I went online to the Humana site and the Medicare site.  It was all confusing.  To add to the dilemma is the medication now prescribed for Leonard.   The cost is $20,000 a month.  We were notified that Humana accepted it as a Tier 5 medication.  It means that  our cost would still be $2,000 a month.  We were told since he has a rare ailment there was a Foundation where we could apply.  They will pay the cost.   So. We didn't want to mess with changing his plan.   I finally called Humana and talked to an agent.   Leonard remains on the $56 a month Premiere Walmart plan.  Due to the few meds I take I am moved to a Walmart plan at a cost of under $14.00 a month.   Now that is off my mind of things to do.



Selling the RV.   

We know we can no longer keep the RV.  Leonard can go longer assist in setting up or taking down.


We made a deal with the dealer from which we purchased it.   We hooked it up Saturday and off we went with it yesterday.  The dealer is about 40 miles away.   We get on the road and realize we did not bring the title with us.   So we knew we would have to make a return trip.  Normally Leonard always checks the tires before we get on the road.  He didn't this time.   We get about half way there and he can feel the rig pulling to the left.  He pulls over, I get out and check tires.   The rear right tire is low.  We find a station about a mile up the Interstate.  Pull in.... it's closed.  Another one about 4 more miles.   We air up and on our way. 

Of course the money we agreed on was prior to inspection.   The inside perfect.   Everything else perfect but small hardly noticeable dents on the black panels along the bottom. I am sure this was done by flinging stones when mowing.   Cost us over $1,000.   Still we came away with enough money to buy a car plus a few hundred.

Getting a Car


We had decided to get a more efficient car and use the truck only when a truck is needed.  It had to be something Leonard could easily get in and out of.   We found this 2016 Ford Escape. The best part it has only 9,064 miles on it.  Was garage kept and hardly used. 

One more thing taken care of.

Unloading the RV

When we knew we were going to sell the RV,  I started unloading it a few things at a time.  Saturday morning son Lennie and DIL Lois came to help finish it up.  How much stuff could a 38 foot travel trailer hold????   A LOT.   So something now on my mind..... to get down to the house basement and go through it.


This is no where near all of it.   The things stored in the underbelly went into Lens shop.  This stuff is in the basement waiting for me to sort.   I had already brought all the food in.  Sunday morning a gentleman at our church announced he would be taking items to an Indian reservation.  This is something he does twice a year.   He followed us home and we donated two large boxes of items and two arms loads of bedding.

Car and Truck Insurance

Our homeowners and vehicle insurances renew the end of December.  I hated the renewal amounts.  A few weeks ago Len and I  went to several agencies for quotes.   That was prior to getting rid of the RV and getting the car.   This morning we followed up on a few.  Glad to say by shopping around we save a total of $859 a year.   Whew!  That is off my mind now.

Trying new Food

Now this is very trivial.   You might be aware that I subscribe to a food delivery service of misshaped veggies and fruits.  This came last week.   What the heck is it????   Celery Root.  Finally cooked it.  Diced it up and boiled in heavy cream, milk and nutmeg.  Then spread cheddar cheese on it and bake til brown.   Wasn't half bad.  I say half because half of us like it and half didn't.  I'll let you guess which half of us didn't.


Until next time.






6 comments:

  1. Everyone has to make those decisions sooner or later so selling the Trailer was a wise choice. We are happy with our 2015 Escape, easy to get in and out as well as decent fuel mileage.
    We cook our Celery Root differently and have posted it before. When I locate it I'll send you the link. When you mentioned Cheese on it we both cringed.
    Be Safe and Enjoy some relaxing time.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it! https://ricknkathyrousseau.blogspot.com/2018/07/laundry-and-cooking-celery-root.html

    You might consider trying Celery Root cooked this way. We've also tried it by just boiling it and lightly salting it without any breading.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far we have not changed our insurance options since I turned 65. I know some day we will abandon Rving or it will abandon us, which ever comes first:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have been busy but seems it's all working out better for you and Len. Should make life easier. I recently changed over to Humana I think it will be a much better fit for me. I used one of those ins. agencies made it much easier to figure out.
    Continued good luck with getting things squared away. Nice car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just enrolled in Covered CA, which is an Obamacare thing. For the first time in 8 years I'll actually have insurance I can use. George has Medicare and Mutual of Omaha is his supplemental. So far it's been pretty affordable. We were using a broker who is a full time RVer.

    ReplyDelete