Our Schedule










Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Couldn't get out, now we can

Cullman,  AL


Some of the things we really liked when we bought this house 3 years ago was that it had 2 full bathrooms with showers.    In addition the master bath had a Jacuzzi tub.   Oh what luxury.




But as the years have passed and our bodies gotten old and less flexible we used it less and less.   It came a time that Leonard could not use it at all.    Aside from weakness due to his chronic heart/lung condition, both shoulders need surgery with the left shoulder and arm about useless.  He could not lift himself from the tub.

As for me, I would now  seldom use the Jacuzzi.   I would have to almost drop myself into it and getting out was always an effort.   Not a pretty sight.

What to do???    We decided a walk-up tub was the solution as there are times when we really would enjoy a good soak.

We did some research.  The top three brands are Safe-Step, American Standard and Kohler.
We talked to American Standard first.  However we did not like that to get the quoted price we had to sign on the dotted line RIGHT THEN.  Once the salesman left the price increased.   No pressure there!

The Safe-Step was ok but it is made with fiberglass and not acrylic.   Also it did not have a purge system that blows out all water from the lines as the other two had.

So we decided on the Kohler.   Safe-Step was cheaper.    American Standard and Kohler same.  However we negotiated with Kohler and saved a bit.

The install was scheduled for several weeks ago.   Then COVID-19 hit.   Everything was put on hold.  After talking to the installer several times over the last few weeks we decided to go ahead with the install yesterday.   They wore masks.   We stayed in the other side of the house using the guest room, office and bathroom.

They had finished an installation down in Foley, AL 315 miles away in the morning arriving at our house around 1:30 and got to work.



I wish I knew someone who would want the Jacuzzi.  Both the tub and motor are in perfect shape.  But not being sure I would find someone to take it, I let the installers dispose of it.  Or whatever.

Finally at around 9:30 the job was complete.   They cleaned the area, vacuumed the floor, wiped everything down.   The tub has to sit for 24 hours due to the caulking around it.     It's HUGE.



Tonight we will see who wins the battle of being first the try it out.

Until next time   (having more work done)

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you made a wise choice that will benefit the both of you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your investment.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you guys are taking care of yourselves. I may make that choice soon. Carole does not use tub much anymore. Maybe a change would do her good. Love ya! Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. They always look so cool in the commercials. We have a soaking tub in the master, but no jets. It is very difficult to get out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let us know how you like it. It's on my list for my new house as I get get in tub with my knees. Joe can't either with his bad back. I should say... We both can get in. It's the getting out that is almost impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW that is really nice.I know you both will enjoy it very much. When I bought my place it had that round garden tub, I thought this might just work for getting out. Well it did but never having enough hot water to fill it with a descent amount of water was not worth it and I only used it a few times. I hate that thing.

    ReplyDelete